Wednesday, May 1, 2019

A Mindfuckery to Start the Morning

This week's topic of the mind-bending works of Satoshi Kon were certainly an interesting way to start the morning. No need for coffee when reality doesn't exist, amirite?


All kidding aside, Perfect Blue and Paprika are incredibly well done and gorgeously animated works of art that blend and blur the concepts of space and time. I quite enjoyed what we watched of Perfect Blue in class, and plan to seek it out later to finish it -- once the insanity of finals and senior thesis is done. I found the concept of the speed of animation being necessary to Kon's editing to be quite intriguing -- I had never stopped to consider how the medium might affect the pacing that way -- and how that in turn alters the stories you can tell within that medium. It makes me re-consider some current projects I have on the side and how I might change or play with their medium to better suit the stories I want to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment