Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Silver Spoon

My reaction to the chapters we read of Silver Spoon was one of understanding and enjoyment. I connected with Yuugo quite a bit in regards to feeling lost surrounded by a sea of students who all know exactly what they want to do with their lives and how they're going to achieve it. It's a struggle and it can make you question everything about yourself, whether you should even be at the school, how you'll survive, who you'll be -- everything. It remains a constant source of worry as you still struggle to find your idealized future as others seem to be following a specific dream on a furious track. I also connected with the struggles of keeping up with farm labor. I maintain my own garden here on my tiny school patio, and it's a massive amount of work just having this tiny plot of plants stay alive. Never mind having to be up at ass-o-clock in the morning to get the animals fed and watered, which a friend of mine has to do, since he lives on an actual farm. I quite liked the story, and am probably going to continue reading it after class.
If I were to adapt this story, I would probably chose another serialized media, given how long the story is and that it is still ongoing. I would probably have to say a show, though there is a Silver Spoon anime that is 11 episodes long and came out in 2013. I would probably want to expand on that, since the story is still updating regularly. I would probably use the animated media to take some more time to examine the landscapes in ways that the book cannot, and to highlight the contrasts between our protagonist and his environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment